What can I do as a parent to help maintain my child’s teeth?
Try to reduce the acid in the mouth by:
• Limiting acidic foods and drinks like candy, carbonated beverages, fruit juices and refined sugars
• Drinking plenty of water throughout the day
• Using a straw to bypass the teeth
• Using an over-the-counter fluoride rinse
• Trying to eat acidic foods with your meals
• Making sure your child does NOT brush immediately after consuming acidic foods; INSTEAD rinse with water or a fluoride rinse
What more can I do?
• Advise their dentist of their condition
• Get additional fluoride varnish applications during the year by your dentist or hygienist
• Ask your dentist about a prescription fluoride gel that has a higher fluoride content